As surgery advanced over the years, positive surgical outcomes and patient safety became and remains the primary focus for hospitals and healthcare systems across the nation today. A major aspect to keeping high surgical outcomes and patient safety involves anesthesia. Anesthesia is one of the major and constant components for a perioperative transformation.
For over 25 years, Surgical Directions has been at the forefront of perioperative transformations and has a deep-rooted history with anesthesia. Surgical Directions was founded by anesthesiologist so the need for anesthesia and its connection to helping perioperative services was realized early on and very clear. Our anesthesiologist knew that to improve operating rooms (OR), anesthesia needed to be involved. Many factors of the OR and how it functions includes the help of anesthesia from scheduling, staffing, efficiency, governance, etc. Most hospital, healthcare system, or ASC’s anesthesia services often need assistance with streamlining their operations and bringing transparency to their challenges.
“We know anesthesia, because we are anesthesia” – Dr. Thomas Blasco, Sr. Physician Managing Director
Surgical Directions anesthesia offerings can help your hospital, hospital system, or ASC dramatically improve both financial results and your patient experience. Our peer-to-peer model has our team of anesthesia experts working directly with your anesthesia leadership. We help optimize anesthesia practice efficiency in other ways by looking at scope of practice, revenue cycle, etc. We also use heatmap analysis and other services to help align anesthesia staffing with hospital’s volume.
How we help our clients
- Scheduling and staffing. Our advanced staffing models in a variety of formats will help optimize your anesthesia department’s time and efforts to prevent fatigue and maximize work life balance.
- Governance redesign. Establishing a multidisciplinary governance structure provides a foundation for fostering collaborative leadership. With Anesthesiologists being the main patient partner throughout the continuum of care, they should play a significant role in how the OR is governed.
- Cost analysis. Analyze cost per anesthesia unit per group, anesthesia units and cost target per anesthesia provider. Learn from our experts on how to be alert to the ways that costs get out of control and how best to keep them in line.
- Compensation redesign. Help improve the Anesthesia department’s pay structure including call pay, additional hours, sub-specialization and equal vs. productivity compensation.
Anesthesia interim leadership. Help to improve efficiency and positively change the culture
- Non-Operating Room Anesthesia (NORA). Help improve hospital’s NORA locations and Acute Pain which is an important part of ERAS/rapid recovery.
- Provided advanced staffing models in a variety of formats, in addition to advisory services on medical direction, supervision, etc.
- Established a multidisciplinary governance structure to provide a foundation for fostering collaborative leadership
- Improved pay structures including call pay, additional hours, sub-specialization, equal vs. productivity compensation
- Analyzed cost per anesthesia unit per group and anesthesia unit and cost target per MDA
- Assisted in preparing for Value-Based Care, as well as billing and A/R performance evaluation
- Created customized group practice dashboards and report cards
We have helped many hospitals and healthcare systems by enhancing anesthesia revenue and reduce cost