Central Sterile Processing is the foundation of surgical and procedural areas, the department struggles with finding qualified candidates and retain trained talent. The question becomes, how can perioperative leaders support the foundation of their CSP program to enhance service and ensure safe patient care and outcomes? Surgical Directions has the answer! Surgical Directions will support your CSP’s education platform utilizing IAHCSMM resources, partnering with your organization for on-site hands-on experience and guidance.
- On-site class and instrument skills training, reviewing the seven CSP areas of study
- Weekly support of learning and progress, with oversight from certified experts
- Testing and evaluation at program milestones
- Randomized audits of daily work
- Department support of the candidate
- Customized learning plans to reinforce skills on an individual basis
- Six month combined onsite training with client supported clinic experience
7 Areas of Study
- Cleaning, Decontamination & Disinfection
- Preparation & Packaging
- Documentation & Record Maintenance
- Sterilization Process
- Customer Relations
- Sterile Storage & Inventory Management
- Patient Care Equipment
After successful required clinical experience and (candidate can apply before completing clinical experience) completion of required documents, the candidate will qualify and apply for testing appointment:
- Completed 400 hours of hands on work in CSP
- Demonstrated successful skills through hands-on work experience
- Applied to sit for the IAHCSMM/CBSPD exam
CRCST certification requires that you pass the certification exam and complete 400 hours of hands-on experience in a CS department. These hours can be completed before testing or within 6 months of passing the exam.
- Completion of 12 months of full-time employment or equivalent part-time hours performing SPD activities (provide verification signed by your manager on your exam application), or
- Completion of 6 months (each) of full-time employment or equivalent part-time hours in related allied health (clinical healthcare profession) as well as performing SPD activities in SPD (provide verification signed by your manager on your exam application), or
- Completion of a SPD Training Course with a passing grade of 70 or higher (provide a copy of certificate/grade from your instructor), or
- Completion of 12 months of healthcare product sales or service related to the SPD profession (provide verification signed by your employer on your exam application)
Having a qualified and trained staff is essential to having a high functioning Central Sterile Processing department (CSP). The CSP education program will help your organization enhance services and ensure safe patient care and outcomes. Surgical Directions will support your CSP’s education program!
Featured Case Studies
Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital
Bon Secours engaged Surgical Directions to perform an assessment of perioperative services.
NYU Langone Medical Center’s Hospital for Joint Diseases
In just a year and a half, total OR volume grew 8%.
Improvements to purchasing processes drive high-dollar savings at Memorial Hospital.
Connect with Us